1920

Anna and Alphonse Palmieri from Piedemonte, d’Alife, Province of Benevento, Italy near Naples, Parents of Salvatore Palmieri, opened a grocery store at 380 Crown St., New Haven, CT, in 1920. Anna cooked her sauce for her family in the kitchen behind the store. Her customers, smelling the aroma, asked many times if they could buy some from her. She made up a few jars at a time, and sold them in the store.  This is when Palmieri Foods started.   By 1935, it was a full-scale operation. This is how the first food service spaghetti sauce was born.

1939

storefront_largeAnna and Alphonse Palmieri from Piedemonte, d’Alife, Province of Benevento, Italy near Naples, Parents of Salvatore Palmieri, opened a grocery store at 380 Crown St., New Haven, CT, in 1920. Anna cooked her sauce for her family in the kitchen behind the store. Her customers, smelling the aroma, asked many times if they could buy some from her. She made up a few jars at a time, and sold them in the store.  This is when Palmieri Foods started.   By 1935, it was a full-scale operation. This is how the first food service spaghetti sauce was born.

1942

storefront2_largeThe sauce was made in the cellar of their Chapel Food Shop; a location beside what is today the Jewish Center of New Haven. Alphonse, Sal’s Dad, and Sal along with other family members worked together. Ralph Laudano; Sal’s brother-in-law was head cook for the company for 37 years. Due to continued growth of the business it was moved to a larger facility on Bristol St. in New Haven in 1942. In 1947, Alphonse retired leaving Sal as head. Over the years, Sal acquired Favorita, Birdsall Brands and Ferraro’s Kitchen Brand. It was often suggested to Sal that he could make a larger margin of profit by using additives such as corn syrup, starch fillers, artificial coloring and flavorings. He always stood firm that Palmieri Pasta Sauce would remain “100% Natural”, using only the freshest ingredients, onions, garlic and the finest imported spices.

1952

img002_cropOn March 16, 1952, Sal’s third child Patrick was born in Grace New Haven hospital, now known as Yale New Haven Hospital. During school vacations by the age of nine, Patrick would go to the plant with his father. Patrick took great interest in the business from the beginning. Helping out where ever he was able. He would label boxes, sweep floors, and stack cases. By the time he was a teen, his duties were much more varied with greater responsibility. During those years, he had become quite handy repairing production machinery, loading trucks, and making local deliveries.

1962

w05In 1962, Sal incorporated the Company with his two sons Salvatore Jr. and Patrick. In March 1976, Sal purchased Andrews Horseradish Co, from Edwin Schaefer of Bailey, Moore, Glazer, Schaefer and Proto, who had purchased it from the originator, Mrs. Rose Andrews of Wolcott, CT. nine years prior. At the time of the purchase, Andrews Foods was located in the former Sealtest building, Patrick was overseeing the operation at this location. In 1977, the Andrews production was moved into 135 Bristol St.

1979

Sadly on July 22, 1979 Sal passed away. Shirley his wife and Pat took over Palmieri Food Products. In 1982, Pat Sr., became sole owner and president.

1981

w09With sales growth at the business climbing and space maxed out with each passing year. In 1981, Pat Sr. purchased the adjoining property on 131 Bristol St. and in 1982 purchased 127 Bristol St. On April 2, 1993, Palmieri Food Products purchased the former Lender Bagel Plant on Hamilton St., in New Haven. Palmieri’s not only manufactures Palmieri Pasta Sauces and Andrews Horseradish and Cocktail sauces but is currently private labeling for several instate and out of state Companies.

1995

In 1995, Palmieri Food Products, Inc., celebrated its 75th anniversary, and is proud to call itself a truly “New Haven Original”.

1998

In March 1998, Palmeri Food Products, Inc. purchased Pinders Pure Horseradish Company which has a complete line of horseradish, cocktail sauce, horseradish tartar sauce, horseradish mustard and horseradish jelly.